Re: RE: [asa] Tablet ignites debate on messiah and resurrection

From: Jack <drsyme@verizon.net>
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 07:10:51 EDT

There is an aspect of this that makes it significant. N.T. Wright, makes the following point regarding the idea of the resurrection of the messiah as it was understood during the century before Christ: "..no second Temple Jew believed (in the resurrection of the messiah) because, according to Second Temple Judaism, the Messiah was never going to be killed. So that idea (messiah's resurrection) was novel." He is making the claim that there would be no reason for the authors of the gospels to make up the story about the resurrection (or to fake the appearance of such) because it was something no one expected to happen anyway, therefore it must have been an actual event.

But if some Jews, expected a messiah that would die and live in three days, this weakens his argument a bit.