Re: [asa] Ignorance in all around I see...

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 17:54:30 EDT

Hi Pim,

I think I see where you're coming from now. Let me tell you what I'm
hearing, and you can let me know if I've understood.

First, putting aside for the moment the advances of molecular
microbiology in the last decade, it seems that when ID theory first
kicked off there were two primary motivators;

(1) The lack of evolutionary explanations for complex molecular systems

(2) The hope of a rigorous means by which designed entities my be identified

We all agree, I think, that (1) entails that ID STARTED with ignorance.
I think we might also agree that, as a starting position, this probably
isn't particularly problematic as "we don't know" is the starting place
for all science. So let's put (1) aside for now.

Now, my argument has been that (2) has been the driving force behind
much of what has happened in ID theory. Certainly it's been the driving
force behind Dembski's work. So, my argument has been that in as much as
(2) is a legitimate "solution" to the problem seen in (1) THEN one can't
accuse ID of being a science stopper.

All that said, I think your response is that my defense of ID theory is
all very nice as theory, but in practice, if we actually run the clock
forward to the present time taking into account the advances of
molecular biology in the last decade then we see two things;

With respect to (1) it is no longer the case that we lack _any_
evolutionary explanations for complex molecular systems.

With respect to (2) it is the case that NO rigorous means of
demonstrating design has been forthcoming.

So what follows is that the actual gains of ID theory as a scientific
hypothesis over the last decade are a net zero. And whilst one might
argue (as I have) that ID theory MIGHT be able to demonstrate the
impossiblity of evolutionary explanations, nevertheless IN PRACTICE the
failure to do so, and the corresponding gains of the contrary position,
have shown ID theory to be a science-stopper _in practice_ - hence all
the discussion about the lack of constructive contribution (i.e.
published articles) on the subject of ID theory.

Is that about it?

Blessings,
Murray Hogg
Pastor, East Camberwell Baptist Church, Victoria, Australia
Post-Grad Student (MTh), Australian College of Theology