Re: [asa] The Myth of the Rejected ID Paper (science stoppers and OOL)

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 09:41:36 EDT

On Jul 6, 2008, at 1:24 AM, Murray Hogg wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> Sorry, I've been rather intrigued by my discussion with Rich and
> this got overlooked.
>
> I have no real response, except to put the rather puzzled question:
> how is it that Behe can hold tenure as a professor of biology if he
> hasn't actually produced any substantial peer reviewed output? Isn't
> this most unusual? Or have I (we?) missed something?

Michael Behe produced substantial output earlier in his career. He had
tenure prior to the drop in output. The drop in output exactly
coincides with the publication of Darwin's Black Box. See the
following (with a break two years after DBB):

Compare this:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=+%22MJ+Behe%22+author%3AMJ+author%3ABehe&as_ylo=&as_yhi=1997&btnG=Search&as_subj=bio

with:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=+%22MJ+Behe%22+author%3AMJ+author%3ABehe&as_ylo=1998&as_yhi=&btnG=Search&as_subj=bio

Maybe this was a result of persecution since the drop was after DBB
(although the papers between 1996 and 1997 were mostly a continuation
of earlier work). Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez also suffered a similar
drop. TheTempleton Foundation, a non-profit organization that promotes
religion in science, gave Dr. Gonzalez funding because of his ground-
breaking work on habitability zones. Instead of funding more of his
research as the Foundation had intended he wrote his book Privileged
Planet. Here is a graph of his output:

http://scienceblogs.com/strangerfruit/gg2.jpg

Note that the drop in output occurred two years prior to publication.
Note also for Gonzalez his research is not really controversial and
his early work was well received --enough to get him on the cover of
Scientific American. This is the reason *I* call it a science stopper
as the ID proponents are distracted from actual research promoting
their non-peer-reviewed books. Also note that at no time does Dr.
Gonzalez make an argument from ignorance so that's just a bad
diagnosis of an undeniable effect. Oh, there was also one key
difference between Behe and Gonzalez. Behe had the good sense to have
his output drop AFTER he got tenure.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA