Re: [asa] The Myth of the Rejected ID Paper (science stoppers and OOL)

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 02:57:08 EDT

Hi Rich,

The comments in the below are, I think, very interesting.

It strikes me that anybody very familiar with Behe's position might
initially react by claiming that Miller has simply misrepresented ID.
After all, Behe has never claimed that design can be seen at the species
level, indeed he specifically repudiates the suggestion. At the Dover
trial, for instance, Behe testified that ID theory applies only at the
molecular level and he was clearly uneasy with the way in which the book
"Of Panda's and People" claimed that the giraffe's neck, bird's
feathers, fish's fins, etc could be seen as instances of design.

So when Miller asks why the designer would use "throw-away" designs it
implies a view that Behe does not, in fact, hold.

However (and it's a big however!), if one thinks a little more deeply
then I think that Miller's criticism really does hold water. After all,
it doesn't seem to make sense to suggest that organisms evolve but their
molecular systems are irreducibly complex. One would, I think, be forced
to either deny common descent OR to invoke some sort of continuous
creation. So I think it quite correct to say that accepting common
descent and advocating ID implies continuous creation - as any
evolutionary development of an irreducibly complex system is, by
definition, ruled out.

So from what seems initially to be a somewhat irrelevant observation, I
think the below actually delivers a rather serious blow to the attempt
of ID theorists to hold together the notions of common descent and ID.

Are you aware if Behe has attempted any response to such a criticism?

Blessings,
Murray Hogg
Pastor, East Camberwell Baptist Church, Victoria, Australia
Post-Grad Student (MTh), Australian College of Theology