Re: [asa] The Myth of the Rejected ID Paper (science stoppers and OOL)

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 00:30:11 EDT

On Jul 5, 2008, at 9:43 PM, Murray Hogg wrote:

> So, to labor a point upon which I think we both agree (?), the
> critique of ID should not be that it doesn't qualify as science. The
> critique should be that as a scientific theory it doesn't pass
> muster as the data either doesn't support, or stands in conflict
> with, the theory. Those who wish to claim otherwise should, in my
> opinion, be able to offer considerably more empirical support than
> they in fact do. That Dembski offers a mathematical analysis of
> design is helpful, but it can't replace a well considered evaluation
> of the biological data.
>
> In all of this, I think by taking seriously the attempt to place ID
> on a scientific footing, one can diffuse some of the less
> constructive debates whilst still progressing toward a
> scientifically responsible end.

Yes, we do indeed agree. I also think that it is helpful to take ID
seriously. In fact, Ken Miller used those very words of taking ID
seriously in his latest book. I was impressed with the subtly of his
critique and also found interesting why he calls ID a form of
creationism -- another of the contentious charges against ID. He does
this because of all the extinct species. Why would a designer use all
of these throw-away designs? Weak ID does admit common descent so this
seems to be somewhat of the problem. On the other hand, if it was a
Creator rather than a designer then it doesn't matter about the
extinct species because there is no need to build the parts of the
"design" from these extinct species. Accepting both common descent and
ID implies that to be consistent you must hold to continuous creation.
You've noted the problems we have here with respect to politics and
one of them is that in order for something to get into classes we must
not mention God and is why I suspect there is a desire to be obscurant
about the designer's identity. Here we have a case where if ID is true
it proves much more than is claimed. Namely, this unknown designer
really is the Creator and not some wacky space alien.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA