Re: [asa] Proof of the YEC position

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 18:05:53 EDT

We have to be careful here in defining design before discussing the
possible scenarios. If by design we mean supernatural first cause
designer(s) then we can pursue the various scenarios in more detail

What would evidence for design look like? "Made in Heaven" inscribed
in our genome? It would provide evidence for a designer but a
supernatural designer?

Science is not about finding the 'truth' but rather providing the best
explanation of the given data using a variety of methods. Science
always remains tentative so we can never be 100% certain that science
is right, time and experience shall tell. However, as long as it
works, it serves its purpose.

Science does not rule out the existence of a designer a priori, on the
contrary, various forms of 'designers' can and have been tested in a
scientific manner. As far as the issue of a scientific foundation for
the supernatural, the problem is that we lack a way to constrain the
supernatural and thus it can explain anything and thus explains
nothing. Can science disprove a designer? Again, even if science can
show that natural processes were sufficient for explaining the origin
of our universe and the evolution thereof, it still cannot exclude the
possibility that supernatural designer(s) were involved.

Of course, the question becomes that if science were able to show that
natural processes were at least in principle sufficient, what would
adding a designer add to our reality in the sense of accuracy?
Just because science may be unable to describe the supernatural, does
not mean that science fails to describe the natural with sufficient
accuracy for any and all practical purpose.

Edward writes

>The problem I have is when scientists use objective evidence as subjective proof.
>Every atheistic scientist I have read claims that science proves there is no creator.

I propose that a likely answer to this is selection bias on your part
and perhaps a lack of understanding of what the atheist scientist does
and does not claim. Even Dawkins stops short of stating that science
is able to disprove a God although he quite creatively (ab)uses the ID
argument to argue that a God may be highly improbable.

Could you provide us with some examples to support your claims. Yes,
whether it be Christians who claim that science proves the existence
of God or atheists who claim that science disproves the existence of
God, they are both abusing science for their own purpose.