Re: [asa] Proof of the YEC position

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 17:24:32 EDT

Your first partial sentence is inadequate. What you are presumably
claiming is that evidence for design by superhuman entities does not yet
exist, for there is abundant evidence of human design that goes back for
thousands of years. If you do not want to acknowledge that the search is
for superhuman entities, then one may substitute nonhuman nonterrestrial
entities. However, even this modification is inadequate, for the argument
involves scientific evidence for superhuman or external design. There are
plenty of theological and philosophical arguments for a Designer, but
they are not scientific. As a consequence, they do not meet the
requirements set out by proponents of Intelligent Design. They only
indicate intelligent design, which fits the notion of a Creator, who is
not discoverable within science. Put bluntly, you can't put God in a test
tube.

The second alternative, "Science is inadequate at discovering the true
nature of reality," is clearly true. Science discovers the empirical
relationships, but philosophy tackles reality insofar as human beings can
understand it. However, philosophers do not have the straightforward test
of science available to them. As a consequence, materialism and theism
are both possible metaphysically, though they contradict each other. They
can't both be true, but neither can be proved.

Your argument reminded me of one I encountered many years ago.
All men are sinners.
All sinners go to hell.
Therefore, all men go to hell.
It's valid, but you expect to go to heaven. Why?
Dave (ASA)