RE: [asa] Proof of the YEC position

From: Edward J. Hassertt J.D. <ehassertt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 15:29:51 EDT

Evidence for design as yet does not exist, but as Christians we must either
assume

1) Evidence for design will eventually be found
2) Science is inadequate at discovering the true nature of reality, or_
3) There is no designer and Christians are wrong about the existence of God

Which of these would you agree to be true?

If science rules out the possibility of design a priori, it is no longer
science, but dogma.

If on the other hand science rules out the possibility of not finding a
designer, it too is no longer science by dogma.

Both sides of this issue seem to be setting aside science for dogma.

If science is accurate, capable, and working under the right assumptions,
then it will eventually discover evidence of a designer if one exists.

If a designer exists and science cannot discover that, then science is
incapable of truly discovering an accurate telling of reality. It ends up
being pragmatic instead of truth-discovering.

If science if incapable of discovering a designer when one does exist, then
why should we trust the other pronouncements of science as true? If it is
incapable of discovering the true nature of reality, which all we as
Christians know to be true, then what makes us layman able to trust its
other claims about the nature of reality?

If I look at a claim of truth in which the underlying assumptions are that
the method used to discover that truth cannot find the truth of the system
it studies, then there is no reason to trust that claim of truth.

If I were to tell you the cube inside the box on my table is purple because
I put a purple cube in the box. Then I tell you I am color blind. Do you
trust my claim about the color of the cube? Likewise if science tells us
there is no evidence of design and then tells us it is incapable of
discovering evidence of design because of its nature, why would I trust that
pronouncement.

So that brings me back to my three options above. If there is a different
option I am missing please let me know.

Edward J. Hassertt, J.D.
President
H & H Insurance & Financial Services
Corporate Headquarters
Bellevue, Washington
 (425) 330-5673

While the information in this e mail has been prepared in good faith, no
representation or warranty, express or implied, is or will be made and no
responsibility or liability is or will be accepted by H & H Insurance and
Financial Services, or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates or by any of
their respective officers, employees or agents in relation to the accuracy,
suitability or completeness of this email and any attachments thereto and
any such liability is expressly disclaimed.

This e mail does not have regard to the specific investment objectives,
financial circumstances or particular needs of any recipient and it should
not be regarded as a substitute for the exercise of the recipient’s own
judgment.  Recipients of this e mail should seek financial advice regarding
the appropriateness or otherwise of investing in any securities or
investment strategies discussed or recommended in this e mail and should
understand that past performance is not necessarily a guide to future
performance and the value of any investments may fall as well as rise.