Re: [asa] The Myth of the Rejected ID Paper (science stoppers and OOL)

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 15:56:57 EDT

The problem is that ID does stop with identifying areas which escape
our present day understanding and rather than provide evidence that ID
has a better explanation, ID falters because in order to take the next
step it has to show that its explanation can compete with ignorance.
Look for instance at the bacterial flagellum which was identified by
ID as 'designed', 'irreducibly complex' etc. While ID has to avoid any
research that would help explain how the flagellum came about, which
would cause the concept of design to collapse, science has made leaps
forward in showing how once the veil of ignorance is lifted. exciting
new homologies and other likely pathways are found that help explain
the origin and evolution of what once was believe to be an
unassailable evidence for 'design'.

For instance, when I pointed out the lack of scientific relevance of
ID, Collin responded that the paper by Wells clearly should fall in
that category and yet nothing relevant to ID was proposed other than
'it looks like a turbine so let's explore where this leads'. In other
words, nothing much different than matching something to our common
day knowledge to generate new hypotheses. But nothing here has any
relevance to the concept of ID really. It does not matter if one holds
to methodological naturalism or not, ID under any scenario remains
scientifically irrelevant or vacuous, even if one were to allow 'poof'
as a valid explanation. How does 'poof' compete with 'we don't know'?
ID does not give us any answers.