Re: [asa] Four myths about I.D.; four myths about T.E.

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 13:27:40 EDT

Mike, thanks for giving me the chance to clarify. Yes, I was specifically
referring to the ID movement that is focused on anti-evolution and cellular
biochemistry and the origin of life as the design argument. I should have
clarified that. There are parallels to design arguments from other fields
but there are key differences as well.

I do not know what you mean by "One problem with your definition is that we
have extensive experience with intelligent agents, both objective and
subjective - ourselves. This allows us to extrapolate from the basis of
this experience when it comes to the notion of design. Our only experience
with a supernatural agent would be God and that gets into the full spiritual
and existential essence of the experience. Extrapolation from that
experience is therefore spiritual and existential, rather than the
problem-solving experience we have from being intelligent designers." How is
that a problem? We can extrapolate to other potential for human design. We
don't have a clear basis for extrapolating to how God would exercise his
design in our physical space-time universe. The best, if not only, evidence
we have is the existence of the entire universe itself and its
comprehensibility and coherence.

Mike wrote:
> If we are talking about beings that simply seeded the planet 3.5 billion
> years ago with designed cells, such that the design would then
> subsequently influence and shape evolution, I see no reason to think such
> agents must be supernatural. After all, if we ourselves accomplish this
> over the next 1000 years, will that make us supernatural?

I don't really follow. No, if we accomplish this next year or any subsequent
time we are working within the confines of natural forces. Why would that be
supernatural? The point about 3.5 billion years ago is that the existence of
any natural agent at that time with such capability would have left some
trace other than the cell itself. Are you suggesting there is some
independent indication of sentient beings back then with such capability? Or
are you suggesting it is reasonable to suppose that sentient beings at that
time managed to erase all traces of their existence? It seems more plausible
to infer that such an agent must have capabilities outside the normal
physical forces.

Randy