Re: [asa] Four myths about I.D.; four myths about T.E.

From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 16:34:37 EDT

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
wrote:

> "One needs continually to note that metaphysical claims, whether
> atheistic, deistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, polytheistic or
> theistic, are not supported by any of the sciences."
>

> But if science *could* explain how *everything* happened naturally, does
> that mean that "God is out of a job?" …just wondering… if the need for a
> Creator would then be superfluous, as Dawkins might likely argue.
>

> …Bernie
>

> ------------------------------

As scientists we study _how_ God does things, not the existence of God
Himself, which is beyond the capabilities of science. To carry forward an
example I gave in another post today, suppose I write a program and
distribute the source code. Someone who wishes to understand how the program
works can look at the code, he can compile and link it and run it. Unless I
put my name in a comment, though, he cannot learn diddly squat about me
(except perhaps that I dislike deeply nested if-then-else clauses). It's the
same thing when we study nature. Natural effects can be traced to natural
causes. God, perhaps for artistic reasons or reasons of elegance, does not
leave evidence of His authorship.

--
William E (Bill) Hamilton Jr., Ph.D.
Member American Scientific Affiliation