Re: [asa] Humanity and the Fall: Questions and a Survey

From: <philtill@aol.com>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 19:00:05 EDT

Hi Bethany,

Thanks for the interesting post.? I agree with your observations about resurrection bodies, but I don't think it disagrees with my thoughts on spacetime.? (I want to emphasize again that I realize I'm speculating and I know that I can't prove these ideas, but I find them attractive.)? Here's an analogy:? eyes interact with electromagetism; ears interact with acoustic waves; noses interact with chemicals.? It would be redundant if all these organs interacted with only the same thing.? Analogously, the body interacts according to the dimensions of physics (what we call spacetime).? It would be redundant if the purpose of the spirit is likewise to interact according to the same dimensions of physics.? Why have both a spirit and a body if they serve to interact in the exact same sphere?? So if they are not redundant, then what does the spirit interact with?? I don't know, but I'm guessing it's not spacetime.? But that doesn't negate the need for a body -- even after the resurrect
 ion -- to interact with spacetime.? If spacetime still exists, then we'll need a body.? The ear doesn't negate the need for the nose or the eye, and v.v.

I don't like the idea that God's eternity is timeless because i can't imagine God being frozen like a statue.? I can't imagine a personality existing without time.? This bothers me about Augustine's answer to 'what was God doing before the creation of the world?"? I think Augustine made?a mistake believing there are only two alternatives:? time or no time.? There could be some dimension?besides time, which we can't even imagine in our physical brains, which give meaning to personality in perhaps a way that is far richer than what mere time affords.? For that matter, there could be an infinite number of these dimensions.? "Eye has not seen, nor has ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man, all that the Lord has in store for those who love him."

I'm not disturbed by the questions about Hell because I imagine that Hell would be indescribable in terms of time since it does not exist in time, and hence it is something that our brain could never begin to apprehend.? That's why (as George pointed out) Jesus used imagery.

One could make the claim that even in this universe general relativity puts evil into a dualistic position with goodness because evil will always have ontological status "in the past."? The passage of time (according to the view of most physicists, I think) is merely a mental state and the past is never annihilated.? It always exists as the next-door-neighbor to the present, as does the future.? But God sees this past evil, always existing in spacetime, through the cross and through his future judgement, and he is always in the position of being Lord over his creation (never dual to any part of it), so I think these are the real reasons (not a supposed annihilation of the past) that keeps evil from being dual to goodness or God.? Likewise for Hell as it?exists?in its own dimensions, whatever they are, I would suppose.

God bless!
Phil