Re: [asa] Humanity and the Fall: Questions and a Survey

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 14:58:16 EDT

If it were just a matter of God selecting a particular couple & communicating with them then evolution wouldn't pose any great threat to the traditional "fall" scenario. But the problem goes deeper than that - in particular, to Strimple's claim that there was "a first man specially created by God, morally perfect in knowledge, righteousness and holiness." What we know of the process of evolution in general, & what we can infer from the behavior of our nearest surviving primate relatives, indicates that the first humans would have been prone to sinful behavior - even thought they would not have been compelled to sin. Thus the claim that the first human(s) was/were "morally perfect" is problematic. This can be avoided if one postulates that God did something outside the ordinary course of natural processes to add some spiritual & moral capabilities to some hominid in order to create humkanity in the theological sense. This in fact is what traditional RC theology postulates - that what humanity lost in "the fall" was not any natural capacity but this added supernatural aspect, the donum superadditum. That is why Rome can accept human evolution up to a point. But adopting this approach means circumventing the evolutionary [process at a critical point.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/