Re: [asa] Morality

From: <rcmetcalf@thinkagain.us>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 14:14:36 EDT

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:46 AM, <mrb22667@kansas.net> wrote:
>> Quoting j burg <hossradbourne@gmail.com>:
>> The trouble is when an atheist does not share in an adequate "vision of
>> virtuous
>> character", & decides he is justified in inflicting mayhem or murder on
>> some
>> group of people, then what do you have to fall back on, Pim?
>

> The same applies to religious people, when religious people do not
> share in how a particular commandment should be interpreted, they may
> behave in manners contradictory to what most of us may consider
> virtuous or moral.
>
> How do we deal with those Christians who believe that the Bible
> requires them to engage in a war with Iran to hasten the second coming
> of Christ?

Here's a fundamental atheist misunderstanding of Christianity. There is no
way the Bible condones "hastening" the second coming. In fact, it can't
be done, since "no one knows the day or the hour" of Christ's return. If
there are any Christians who desire this, they are few and far between and
haven't come to a mature understanding of Scripture. I don't know of a
single Christian who desires this.

The confusion may arise from the media's take on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. As a
"twelver," (i.e. one who believes in the imminent return of the twelfth
imam (the Mahdi)) Ahmadinejad DOES desire a hastening of the increased
world violence associated with his understanding of the state of the world
at the Mahdi's return. He believes he will play an important role in the
Mahdi's return, and since that return will come with violence, he objects
little to the US waging an all out attack on Iran.

So, where does morality fit into Ahmadinejad's thinking?

RC