Re: [asa] Morality

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 13:13:42 EDT

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:46 AM, <mrb22667@kansas.net> wrote:
> Quoting j burg <hossradbourne@gmail.com>:
> The trouble is when an atheist does not share in an adequate "vision of virtuous
> character", & decides he is justified in inflicting mayhem or murder on some
> group of people, then what do you have to fall back on, Pim?

The same applies to religious people, when religious people do not
share in how a particular commandment should be interpreted, they may
behave in manners contradictory to what most of us may consider
virtuous or moral.

How do we deal with those Christians who believe that the Bible
requires them to engage in a war with Iran to hasten the second coming
of Christ? World War III seems to be embraced from Christian
perspectives. We can claim that their reading of the Bible is
erroneous but we have no absolute standard to make that claim,
especially given the fact that their position is based on their
reading of the Bible.

What if Christians decide that inflicting mayhem on abortion providers
or supporters is a virtuous calling based on biblical teachings. I'd
say that as Christians we have even less recourse here as we face a
conflict of interpretation without clear resolution. In fact, in some
cases, religious disagreements can be irreconcilable, causing mutual
harm to all involved.

In other words, I believe that there is no real difference between
atheists and christians when it comes to issues of morality, and in
some cases I see religion as the source of conflict rather than as a
source to help resolve it.