Re: [asa] Kuhn's 2000 book

From: George L. Murphygmurphy@raex.com <Murphygmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 11:59:02 EDT

As John Barrow said, "Almost every working scientist is a realist - at least during working hours."  After hours at the saloon they may talk about about what kind of "realism" they adhere to.

Shalom,

George

> > I would say Kuhn was fundamentally an anti-realist.  He thought of science as a social construction that is incapable of getting outside of itself, such that scientific theories do not actually approximate reality. > >   > On this question of "objective-subjective," check out Roy Bhaskar's work, particularly "A Realist Theory of Science" as well as Michael Polanyi's "Personal Knowledge."  "Objective vs. subjective" is just too simplistic a model for how people interact with and interpret the universe outside themselves.  Bhaskar's critical realism and Polanyi's "tacit knowledge" offer a richer picture of the dialectical interplay between self, culture, and given reality than the positivistic "objective vs. subjective" or the antirealist / postmodern Kuhnian paradigms.  (Critical realism also helps in similar ways in theology, I think.) > >   > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM, George L. Murphygmurphy@raex.com wrote: > > I think it's an overstatement to say that Kuhn thought science to be simply "not objective."  There are subjective aspects to it but it isn't totally subjective. > Shalom, > George > > > > James, > > I would be interested in learning how he views science as not being > objective. Certainly, subjectivity does exist in science but objectivity is > foundational to what science is. > > George C > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "James Mahaffy" > To: > Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 7:33 PM > Subject: [asa] Kuhn's 2000 book > > > > Folks, > > > > Can anyone tell me how important this 2000 book of Kuhn is? > > > > The road since structure : philosophical essays, 1970-1993, with an > > autobiographical interview > > Kuhn, Thomas S. > > > > A student read it for one of my classes but I can't judge from his > > comments if it adds much to his argumentation in his classic The structure > > of scientific revolutions. I like Kuhn and found him influential in > > showing me that science is not objective so will dig into this book if it > > adds much to his previous book. > > > > James Mahaffy (mahaffy@dordt.edu) Phone: 712 722-6279 > > 498 4th Ave NE > > Biology Department FAX : 712 722-1198 > > Dordt College, Sioux Center IA 51250-1697 > > > > > > To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@calvin.edu with > > "unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message. > > > To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@calvin.edu with > "unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message. > > George L. Murphy > > > To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@calvin.edu with "unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message. > -- David W. OpderbeckAssociate Professor of LawSeton Hall University Law SchoolGibbons Institute of Law, Science & Technology >

George L. Murphy
To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@calvin.edu with "unsubscribe asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message. Received on Tue Apr 29 11:59:47 2008