Re: [asa] Kuhn's 2000 book

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 11:16:09 EDT

I would say Kuhn was fundamentally an anti-realist. He thought of science
as a social construction that is incapable of getting outside of itself,
such that scientific theories do not actually approximate reality.

On this question of "objective-subjective," check out Roy Bhaskar's work,
particularly "A Realist Theory of Science" as well as Michael Polanyi's
"Personal Knowledge." "Objective vs. subjective" is just too simplistic a
model for how people interact with and interpret the universe outside
themselves. Bhaskar's critical realism and Polanyi's "tacit knowledge"
offer a richer picture of the dialectical interplay between self, culture,
and given reality than the positivistic "objective vs. subjective" or the
antirealist / postmodern Kuhnian paradigms. (Critical realism also helps in
similar ways in theology, I think.)

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law