Re: [asa] Are TE and ID Really That Far Apart?

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 15:37:23 EDT

Hi Dave,

I appreciate your comments.

[Dave said:]

 I think there's a problem with your hypo in that the robot can't really build with "complete independence" if you've programmed into it the capability to build a house, which would have to include lots of "front loaded" knowledge about house building, the "standards" you mention, and so on.

[Me:] Agreed. Analogies are limited, but the point is still there, namely, that if God elected to use evolution as His process for development process, should we consider Him to be a lesser or greater God for it?

As for imperfections, that is a subjective term. If there were two robots, when with imperfections that made all sorts of "good" and "bad" homes, by our standards, and another robot that was more radical with much of its time digging holes for small mammals, which robot has the most imperfections? Did I mention that a significant asteroid was soon to impact this planet? J

Thinking on a larger scale, astronomers have just barely scratched the surface in finding exoplanets. Before the year is up, we will be over 300 planets. One star seems to have 5 planets, while a significant percentage of stars will likely have none. Red dwarfs can have planets, too. I haven't seen any estimates for the no. of planets in our galaxy, but between 1 billion and 100 billion planets can be argued, I suspect. The Hubble Telescope has demonstrated a strong case for its ability to see to a range that would include a galaxy count of about 130 billion galaxies. So, the odd steps or behavior of our robot that we would superficially call imperfections may be absolutely necessary if this home-building process is to work in all of God's "back 40 acres".

I also find that we learn much from humans with "imperfections". They can teach us great humility, if we are willing to learn.

[Dave:]So, open theism-type models seem to help with some theodicy problems, but they do so (it seems to me) at the expense of an adequate conception of God.

[Me:] Agreed, but analogies often can help. But is the question behind evolution its efficacy in our universe or its lack of concordance with Genesis? If the latter, then we need not spend too much time in robotic analogies, but rather spend more time in interpretations that add all of modern science to the context. This is what interests me more, especially in light of the recent astronomical discoveries of proplyds (protoplanetary disks) which show internal regions that can be described as "without form and void".