Re: [asa] Expelled

From: RC Metcalf <rcmetcalf@thinkagain.us>
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 00:13:20 EDT

Pardon me for coming into this conversation mid-stream, but I can't help but
wonder how the atheist overcomes his Darwinian programming to become
"moral." Adherence to societal constraints may limit his Darwinian
tendencies, but if he gets away with rape, will he experience shame? I
think he may, but only in the very back of his mind, as he is suppressing
the imago dei daily. Chances are, any feelings of shame he may experience
will be very short lived as a result of that suppression. And they may well
be confused with feelings of fear that he may eventually be caught.

In Dawkins' God Delusion, he listed four forms of altruism that all had one
thing in common. At their core, each resulted in personal benefit for the
altruist. None of them were the "good for goodness sake" kind of altruism
the atheist would have us believe. What causes a man like Arland D.
Williams, Jr. to give his life to save 5 complete strangers after the crash
of Air Florida Flight 90 into the Potomac River's 14th Street bridge in
1982? That sort of heroism is rare, and is an example of true altruism, not
the self-serving kind Dawkins alludes to. Was he a Christian? I don't
know. But, if he wasn't, how did Darwinian naturalism lead him to such an
act?

RC Metcalf