Re: [asa] Expelled and ID

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 23:54:52 EDT

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:56 AM, David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dave Clounch asks: Given Barr's statements on the strong evidence for
> cosmological design, is it constitututional to inform school children that
> cosmological design is supported by science?
>
> I respond: Not in those terms. That would be an official endorsement of
> religion. It might be possible, in the context of a comparative religion or
> philosophy class, to discuss such a claim generally.

Dave O,

I think if schools would take scientific materialism and various forms of
naturalism down the hallway into the history or philosophy class, then I'd
be a happy camper.

Regards,
Dave C
PS, A couple more questions, if I may:

1)So, if Lisa Randall wrote in her book on Brane Theory that physics has
theological implications, this book too must be disallowed from the
premises?

2) What about a school district such as mine who declared that these sorts
of materials cannot even be used in history or philosophy class, as you
suggested? Every book, every scrap of paper, everywhere, was declared as
"must support the curriculum". And since Behe's and Johnsons books are
said to not support the curriculum they arent allowed anywhere. Not in any
classroom nor in the libraries. Not in history class. Not in philosophy
class. Perhaps not even in backpacks. Phillip Johnson's book specifically
was banned because one paragraph said the book "explains a Christian world
view". That was what the Connie O'Sullivan stated as the reason it must be
disallowed. Makes me wonder, must Paul Johnson's 'History of Christianity"
be thrown out too? And Barr's book? Are these really the actions of
someone seeking neutrality? And what about the Koran and Islamic books on
science? All expelled?