[asa] Meyer's paper

From: James Mahaffy <Mahaffy@dordt.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 15:38:46 EDT

<20080423230813.23CD17116EE@gray.dordt.edu>, Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:
> As I understand it, the situation was more complex than that. Sternberg
> did send the paper out to review but the reviewers were chosen by
> Sternberg from a non-standard set -- avoiding members of the editorial
> board. In my view that is smuggling. (Yes, the topic of the paper was
> also non-standard.)
> Don N

The paper went through loops expected by most articles. You don't usually select reviewers that you know will shoot down an article. Unless you have a basis for saying that Sternberg picked poor reviewers, I don't think that is fair. It is mainly that some of the others on the board did not like the fact that their journal published it.

I have read the paper and I know paleontology and it wasn't that bad a paper. And remember this journal was not science.

And yes publishing is NOT always objective. And yes at times the establishment will try and exclude or not cite certain folks. I found that in my thesis when I was told not to cite an author.