Re: [asa] Expelled and ID

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 14:22:37 EDT

> The [ID] spokesman are VERY careful to say they can NOT prove the God of the Bible.<

Not when they're trying to sell their claims to Christian audiences.

ID makes many scientific claims. It also presents as science a number
of claims that aren't scientific, a problem shared by those trying to
claim that science supports atheism. Both are looking for God in
science instead of in His self-revelation; both are making
unacknowledged assumptions about how God ought to operate in the
physical world.

I would agree that "is it true" is a much better question to ask than
"is it science?". The "is it science?" focus is an unfortunate legacy
of the current legal precedents, and has been poorly handled in the
mainstream response of conventional science to ID. On the other hand,
the definition of ID is so poorly constrained as to make it impossible
to say what ID is or isn't. To one audience, ID is billed as merely
the reasonable suggestion that "design" is potentially scientifically
detectable and worth looking for; to another, it is billed as having
proved Christianity against atheism by debunking evolution.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections