Re: [asa] Expelled and ID

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 02:32:04 EDT

Dave,

It would be very interesting for us to discover whether methodological
naturalism was invented in the twentieth century, or whether it has roots
further back in history and was merely borrowed. I could be wrong in
claiming it to have been invented by (De Vries?) at Wheaton. It's just that
I haven't gotten around to discovering any earlier source. As I remember
it, Poe claimed the De Vries paper was the very first published anywhere.

Other forms of naturalism were obviously re-emergent in enlightenment
and post-enlightenment times. I believe Barr and D'Souza both argue
that naturalism itself is a Christian idea of ancient derivation.
Christians thought a rational approach to the universe combined with a God
that is outside the universe implied that the world runs in a regular
order. Thus paganism and animism were to be rejected, partly because they
depended on supernatural forces within nature. Naturalism speaks
against that.

Regards,
Dave