Re: [asa] Humanity and the Fall: Questions and a Survey

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 13:54:41 EDT

Re: 3) Who was it that 'started' the 'process' (of, as you say, 'getting off the right track') and did that person have a name? Or is the name of that person unimportant?

  That 'choice' (to start) seems really to be/symbolize an 'abrupt transition,' whether or not one wants to apply the theological phrase 'state of integrity' is an aside.

  If one accepts the 'event/point in history' that Pinnock accepts, then indeed, they can dismiss George's felt need to postulate Adam and Eve as a 'story of everyman/woman,' just as Pinnock does.

  To resonate with David's view that 'something is not satisfying' in Pinnock's account, it seems to me that when he considers that 'an event' can happen 'over generations' he is confusing the meaning of 'an event.' The meaning of 'over generations' is 'many events' not 'an (a single) event.'

  G.A.

George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com> wrote:
          There's a good deal of truth in what Pinnock says. However -

  1) Scripture itself does not use the language of "fall" in connection with the 1st human sin & we need not be tied either to that language or (more importantly) to the image it conveys of an abrupt transition from a "state of integrity" to depravity.

  2) What I think a realistic picture of evolution will not let us do is hold on to the idea of a "state of integrity" in the classical sense.

  3) A more realistic picture is not that of "fall" but of the start of a process of getting off the right track - i.e., the kind of historical development God wanted. That process did start at the beginning of human history & in that sense is "historical."

  4) Gen.3 & other texts (Rom.5 &c) are theological statements about that start but are not historical accounts of it.

  5) The really essential; thing to maintain is the seriousness of our "sin of origin," which is why reading Gen.3 as the story of "everyman/woman" is necessary, though it doesn't exhaust the meaning of that text.

  6) At which I will again refer to my PSCF article at http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2006/PSCF6-06Murphy.pdf .

  Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/