Re: [asa] Expelled and ID (ASA annual mtg.)

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 08:52:18 EDT

On Apr 23, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Donald F Calbreath wrote:

> As I recall, Meyer's paper underwent normal peer-review before
> appearing in print. Hardly smuggling, wouldn't you say?
>
> Don

This above is the statement put out by the journal . The argument is
in two parts. The first part is rock solid. The paper is way off topic
for this journal. This is the basis for George's smuggling charge.
Note what I emphasized, it did not go through normal peer review. It
was this editorial misconduct that raised the ire of others. Others
have noted that this wasn't always the case but it was typical.
However, given something this controversial it really shouldn't have
been given more sets of eyes and as Christians we should be "above
reproach", avoiding even the appearance of impropriety. Furthermore,
we still don't know who the peer reviewers are and thus cannot with
any confidence know that it went through even "loose" review.
Sternberg himself wasn't qualified to review this because his
expertise was in very the systematics content of the journal itself.
That's how editors are chosen, being experts in the field of the
journal.

The second part is circular and could take some revision because it
sounds like they are giving no opportunity for a new testable
hypothesis to be presented. If they took the time to note that the
paper was not original research but a survey paper then the
circularity could have be removed. My last sentence would have been:

> The Meyer paper because it is a survey paper and not original
> research continues in that tradition and adds no new testable
> hypothesis. As such, the Meyer paper does not meet the scientific
> standards of the Proceedings.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA