Re: [asa] Expelled and ID (ASA annual mtg.)

From: Dennis Venema <Dennis.Venema@twu.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 01:13:09 EDT

Dennis, You are espousing a perspective of 'science' that could have stood
up perhaps fifty years ago, but not today. However, this does not mean you
cannot 'do' science itself! It just means that you do not speak best for
what 'science' is and is not. This is best left up to philosophers of (the)
sciences, those who professionally study it.

Call me old school (and Iım awfully young to be old school) but I donıt
think postmodernism had as much of an impact on science as you think it has,
if that is what you are saying. If POS want to say that they are the best
suited to say what is science and what is not, itıs a free world, I guess.

Though I am defending neither Meyer nor his paper (which I read and found
wanting), the notion of 'just reproducabilty (sic) and data' has already
been debunked. Such is a monolithic view of science that is outdated; there
are many things that count as 'science' that are not reproducible and need
rely on no data, e.g. theories themselves.

I think your understanding of what a ³theory² is in science might be a
little off. Itıs not the same as the colloquial usage. I am not saying that
science is merely data and reproducibility, though these are crucial. I am
saying that a paper worthy of publication in a scientific journal should
have at least a little bit of data that someone else could replicate should
they so desire.

dennis