Re: [asa] Expelled and ID

From: Jack <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 22:06:38 EDT

Re: [asa] Expelled and IDDo you really believe this? I cant believe you would say something like this. The data is still the data? Are you saying that short of outright fraud, all scientific data is completely objective? That seems so naive that it is literally incredible. Yes you introduce bias into the results, why do you think that the standard of medical trials is double blinded studies? The scientists have to be blinded too so they dont introduce their bias. I doubt that even in "hard science" things are as simple as the "facts are still the facts", but it is far from the case in medicine.

Are you familiar with the ENHANCE trial? This was a trial sponsored by Schering-Plough the makers of Vytorin. Vytorin is a combination of ezetimibe/simvastatin. Ezetimibe alone is Zetia. Vytorin is supposed to lower cholesterol, specifically LDL cholesterol through two different mechanisms of action (you have probably seen the commercials," two sources of cholesterol, fettucine alfredo, and your Uncle Alfredo"). The ENHANCE trial was a study to prove that the combination of ezetimibe/simvastatin was better than simvastatin alone in lowering cholesterol levels, and in slowing progression of athersclerotic lesions. But there was no significant difference between the two groups in lowering cholesterol, and in fact the progression of atherosclerotic lesions was greater in the group treated with the combination compared to simvastatin alone but not significantly.

The facts are still the facts right? Not only was the data from the study withheld from publication for a couple of years, (obviously Schering-Plough had nothing to gain by publishing it), but there is substantial controversy about what the results actually mean. To find out who says what, all you need to do is follow the money. Bias is inevitable in science just like anything else, scientists are not above this kind of thing.