Re: [asa] Expelled and ID

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 21:25:40 EDT

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, David Opderbeck wrote:

> I really enjoy Stephen Barr's work and he's a very interesting guy. Query
> though: is cosmological design really not a form of "ID"? It seems to me
> that many people who find cosmological design arguments potentially helpful
> are put off of biological design arguments because of the overstatement,
> politicization, etc. of the "ID movement" -- myself included. So making a
> distinction between cosmological and biological ID is almost more of a
> necessary difference in politics, style, and emphasis.

I think that cosmological design is a form of id (lower case). ID (upper
case) would be defined by whatever the Discovery Institute people choose
to embrace as the arguments that they want to put forth. As far as I am
aware, they focus on the biological rather than the cosmological.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)