Re: [asa] Expelled and ID (ASA annual mtg.) - correction

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 20:52:32 EDT

Correction: should read ..."just 'reproducibility and data'..." - i.e. not to imply that Dennis thinks that 'science' is 'just' those two things and not also others. The 'just' is my addition, not Dennis' word.

Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca> wrote: ...
  Though I am defending neither Meyer nor his paper (which I read and found wanting), the notion of 'just reproducabilty and data' has already been debunked. Such is a monolithic view of science that is outdated; there are many things that count as 'science' that are not reproducible and need rely on no data, e.g. theories themselves. You must remember that Meyer is a historian and philosopher of science and not a biologist. You are a biologist and speak like one.