Re: Fw: [asa] Expelled and ID

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 20:06:34 EDT

I didn't mean to say that there is nothing objective about methodological
naturalism. What I meant to say is that the choice of limiting the
investigation of the physical universe by the criterion of methodological
naturalism is not simply an "objective" choice. The foundations of the
scientific method, contra both the empiricists and the rationalists,
ultimately can't be demonstrated empirically or rationally. The supposed
foundations hang in mid-air, and we base research programs on them mostly
for pragmatic reasons. We can't really know, based on the scientific method
*alone*, whether the scientific method is disclosing truth.

I also didn't intend to imply that ID should be considered "science." I
don't think ID should be considered "science," but then demarcation games
are yawn-inducing. Who cares if it's "science?" The question ought to be,
"is it true?" (I'm also not implying that the claims of ID are true, or not
true. But I think "is it true" is a much better question than "is it
science.")

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law