RE: [asa] Expelled and ID (ASA annual mtg.)

From: Donald F Calbreath <dcalbreath@whitworth.edu>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 18:14:09 EDT

Here is Sternberg's statement about the peer-review process for Meyer's paper:

"In the case of the Meyer paper, I followed all the standard procedures for publication in the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. As managing editor it was my prerogative to choose the editor who would work directly on the paper, and as I was best qualified among the editors I chose myself, something I had done before in other appropriate cases. In order to avoid making a unilateral decision on a potentially controversial paper, however, I discussed the paper on at least three occasions with another member of the Council of the Biological Society of Washington (BSW), a scientist at the National Museum of Natural History. Each time, this colleague encouraged me to publish the paper despite possible controversy.

The Meyer paper underwent a standard peer review process by three qualified scientists, all of whom are evolutionary and molecular biologists teaching at well-known institutions. The reviewers provided substantial criticism and feedback to Dr. Meyer, who then made significant changes to the paper in response. Subsequently, after the controversy arose, Dr. Roy McDiarmid, President of the Council of the BSW, reviewed the peer-review file and concluded that all was in order. As Dr. McDiarmid informed me in an email message on August 25th, 2004, "Finally, I got the [peer] reviews and agree that they are in support of your decision [to publish the article]."

If we're going to discuss issues, let's at least get the facts straight.

Don