Re: [asa] Expelled and ID

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 17:35:07 EDT

Don,
Can I say something else? I've been searching for this and couldnt find it
because its actually on page 1.

Stephen M Barr says, "The fact of the matter is there <i>is</i> a bitter
intellectual debate going on, and it is about real issues. However, the
conflict is not between religion and science. It is between religion and
materialism."

He says of materialism..."it is not science".
"The basic tenet of so-called 'scientific materialism' is that nothing
exists except matter, and that everything in the world must therefore be the
result of the strict mathematical laws of physics and blind chance."

He says on page 2, "Paradoxically, these discoveries, coming from the study
of the material world itself, have given fresh reasons to disbelieve that
matter is the only ultimate reality."

He goes on to make some statements about various aspects of scientific
materialism.
"Scientific materialism also comes in more refined philosophical forms. Here
its critique of religion is essentially epistemological. It is acknowledge
that there are religious ideas which have a certain intellectual appeal and
internal consistency, but they are rejected as being unsupported by
evidence. The assertions made by religion, it is said, cannot be tested, and
therefore cannot be accepted by a person who wants to be guide dby reason
rather than by wishful thinking."

"Finally there is the 'scientific' part of scientific materialism, which
argues that religion, however believable it may once have been, has now been
discredited by science."

[AN ASIDE: This is the conclusion I was referring to. I have heard it on
campus many times. It is clear is is a claim beinmg made in the name of
science on campuses].

"According to this view, the world revealed by scientific discovery over the
last few centuries simply does not look anything like what we were taught to
believe by religion. It is this claim I shall subject to critical scrutiny
in this book. the question before us then, is whether the actual dicoveries
of science have undercut the the central claims of religion, specifically
the great monotheistic religions of the Bible, Judaism and Christianity, or
whether those discoveries have have actually, in certain important respects,
damaged the credibility of materialism."

Well I can tell you that later in the book he says that cosmological design
is now stronger than ever before. (of course this is different than
biological design).

He says on page 16:

"As we examine some of the arguments for materialism later, we shall see
that ultimately all of them are completely circular. they all seem to boil
down in the end to "materialism is true because materialism <i>must</i> be
true. The fact seems to be that materialism is completely fideistic in
nature."

On page 106 he says,
"If the <i>ultimate</i> laws of nature are, as scientists can now begin to
discern, of great subtlety beauty, one must ask where this design comes
from. Can science explain it?
.....science really has no alternative to offer to the Argument From Design.

  (please read his reasoning first hand, I didnt include it)

He says the only tenable possibility is chance.

If that is the case (again, please see his argument for this) then I have
my own reasons for disbelieving that chance explains everything.

Just thought you would find Barr to be interesting reading, Don.

Dave (ASA member)