Re: [asa] (fruit flies???) A Message from the RTB Scholar Team (fwd)

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 20:38:24 EDT
Bernie, you might take a look at this item posted a couple of days ago on the ASA news blog:
Lizards Undergo Rapid Evolution After Introduction To A New Home
In thinking about this, the time span described in this article was ridiculously short compared to geological timings.
Regards
JimA [Friend of ASA]

Dehler, Bernie wrote:

David said:
"Several examples of new species being formed in lab and in the wild are known, so it's not a tenable position for anyone knowledgeable in the relevant aspects of biology"

What examples can you give to proof of new species made in the lab? My understanding is that all these mutants are downward- devo, not upwards in any way.  Even fruit flies, as far as I know, can’t be changed into something better.  Extra wings don’t work, and extra legs on a head are no good.  If you have evidence- I’d like to know.  It would help me.

We have a new fruit fly researcher that joined this ASA list- can’t remember the name.  I asked him if there was any positive outcomes from experts on fruit flies- no answer (that I saw).  I believed evolution happened, but would welcome the new evidence to bolster my position.

…Bernie