RE: [asa] (fruit flies???) A Message from the RTB Scholar Team

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 18:02:21 EDT

Thanks Dave and Keith for your response. Let me give an analogy in my
head.

As an engineer, we had a computer board with a memory problem, that was
very random. This happened once. It is frustrating trying to fix a
random fault that occurs infrequently. What we did was write a special
program to hammer the memory in certain areas (physical address ranges).
At one point, one area was really messing-up, so we hammered it even
more. Eventually we narrowed in really close to a problem area, could
get lots of repeats, put a scope on it, and see the exact problem. It
was a timing (design) issue. It is an example of how using intelligence
you can speed things up dramatically that normally happen slower in real
life. I think once we really understand evolution, we can do things
like that in the lab. As I wrote earlier- Craig Venter is experimenting
with "writing" DNA code, going beyond the recent developments of
"reading." I think that is utterly amazing. There are going to be
exciting break-thru's there.

Thanks again for your insight- good points.

Also, Keith said earlier:
"My point here is that species are real biological entities (at least as
understood by most biologists and paleontologists)."

Did you see expelled, the movie? I think it was Prof. Berlinski (sp?)
who said 'evolution' was defined very murkily- unclear- "we don't even
know what species are." Comments? Like YEC Kent Hovind said, Tigers,
Lions, Ligers - "different species but the same "kind."" I want to know
more about that Berlinkski guy- he was interesting... he called Dawkins
"a bit of a lizard."