RE: [asa] (fruit flies???) A Message from the RTB Scholar Team

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 14:13:24 EDT

I think we have a difference of definition for "macro evolution." To
the YEC, it doesn't mean large sudden changes. It means changes across
species- such as ape-like creatures to man, or land animals to whales.
Timber wolf to poodle isn't impressive- it is called "micro evolution"
and everyone agrees to those level of species changes.

If evolution were true (as I think it is), why can we get fruit flies to
evolve into something totally different like a bumble bee or even some
new creature? Not just color or sexual reproduction changes, but real
"new animal" kind of changes-even if it takes 20 generations, which
doesn't take too long with fruit flies (a couple of weeks per
generation). Is the problem still with time scale-we could do it if we
had 300 generations, but that would take 12 years of meticulous
control...?