Re: [asa] Resurrection of the Shroud?

From: Kirk Bertsche <Bertsche@aol.com>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 00:42:34 EDT

On Apr 21, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Kirk Bertsche wrote:

> Yes, this is one of the more plausible arguments put forth against
> the Shroud radiocarbon dates. If the cloth was actually from a
> patch, it says nothing about the date of the original material.
> But the Shroud was known to have been patched so it is unlikely
> that the textile experts who carefully selected samples would have
> mistaken the original cloth for the patch. This and other
> arguments against the dates have been examined and rejected [H.E.
> Gove, "Dating the Turin Shroud--An Assessment", Radiocarbon 32:1
> 87-92 (Nov 1, 1990).]

I should have also mentioned that Harry Gove wrote a popular-level
book which combined these arguments in his paper with the history of
dating the shroud: "Relic, Icon or Hoax? Carbon Dating the Turin
Shroud" (1996).

I don't believe that there have been any further scientific tests of
any kind on the Shroud since the radiocarbon dates. So there is no
new scientific data. Gove's discussions of the critiques are still
as valid as they ever were. (I'm sure there are some new conspiracy
theories that try to get around Gove's rebuttals, but I wouldn't give
them much credence.)

Kirk