RE: [asa] Proposed Revision of Genesis 1-11 in the KJV

From: Dick Fischer <>
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 18:48:26 EDT

Hi Merv,
I have to pick just one?
A global flood is absolutely necessary for the YEC scenario in order to
sequence the fossil record. Otherwise, the fossil record is a record
laid down in time and they don't allow time. So a local or regional
flood which would have been judgment on Adam's descendants, Noah's
relatives, is of no value to them.
If you look at Genesis 6:4, it begins: "There were giants in the earth
in those days ." The Genesis 6:4 "giants" (Nephilim in Hebrew and the
NIV) were some manner of men with ancient origins who apparently were in
residence prior to Noah, and maybe even Adam. Furthermore, they appear
in later chapters. In Numbers 13:33, the post-flood "sons of Anak who
come of the giants" reflects back to Genesis 6:4, to the pre-flood
This is from The Expositor's Bible Commentary:
On the face of it, the remark presents a problem to the view that only
Noah and his sons survived the Flood, since it suggests that the "sons
of Anak" were descendants of the "Nephilim" (min hannepilim, lit. "from
the Nephilim") who lived before the Flood.
How could Nephilim be on both sides of the flood? Because they were
living in what became Canaanite country, the region of Palestine,
outside the flood zone.
The Sumerians too had a list of pre-flood kings and a post-flood
civilization. Although they were decimated by the flood, they lived in
an area located further east and some of them escaped to the foothills
of the Zagros mountains. After the flood the Sumerians rebuilt cities
previously occupied by Adam's generations. It took awhile for Noah's
group to reconstitute and some of them took up residence in Babylon.
You know that story. Pottery remains also confirm this sequence of
Dick Fischer, author, lecturer
Historical Genesis from Adam to Abraham <>