RE: [asa] (fruit flies???) A Message from the RTB Scholar Team

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 17:25:14 EDT

Hi Dennis-

 I believe that evolution happened but here's my stumbling block. Since
nature does evolution with mutation (chance) and natural selection, we
should be able to considerably "speed things up" by applying
intelligence in a lab situation. Fruit flies breed quickly, so we can
do all kinds of things to them, over a few months which nature would
take eons to do. My understanding is that fruit flies have been exposed
to everything (temperatures, pressures, radiation, darkness, light, etc)
and still nothing "new" (useful) appears. Why can't we get these to
evolve? Devolution, useless mutations (such as non-working extra wings
or legs on the head), aren't impressive to me-I've seen the human baby
with 2 faces or 8 legs. It is no big deal to make monsters. Why can't
we get evolution in the lab to work, creating something new and better,
or at least different and still functional (just different colored eyes
isn't all that impressive)?

 The big picture: It seems to me that if evolution were true, we could
simulate it in the lab and speed it up with intelligence. It is
frustrating that it isn't happening. We don't really grasp evolution
yet, because I think when we do, we can do amazing things in the lab
with it, such as creating new creatures. Craig Venter is getting there
with his experiments in "writing" new DNA code, see his fascinating
speech here: http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/6

...Bernie