RE: [asa] Expelled and ID

From: James Mahaffy <Mahaffy@dordt.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 16:12:32 EDT

Folks

<20080419224008.9F95071145D@gray.dordt.edu>, "Dehler, Bernie"
<bernie.dehler@intel.com> wrote:
> ID is saying it is "science" so it can be more serious. To make it
> science, you have to bear on scientific things, such as math
> (statistics) and biology. So they are appealing to the hard sciences to
> bring it into the scientific realm.
>

> However, they have no scientific hypothesis. "God made it" is not a
> hypothesis, since it can't be tested. By definition, the scientific
> method requires a hypothesis that can be tested. You also can't test
> evolution per "origin of life," but there are other parts of evolution
> which are testable... ID has nothing testable. They think by disproving
> known naturalistic methods, God is then the default answer-but it isn't.

Please don't pick on strawman. ID has gained notice in the scientific world in
part because some of the heavy players do good science. Behe is his latest book
"The edge of evolution makes a scientific case for what can and can not be caused
by random mutation. The examples he draws on are from his own published area of
hemoglobin research.

Dembski makes mathematical arguments that is possible to detect design mathematically.

Gonzalez does a good job of showing that earth is uniquely fit to support life. I believe a lot of his
well cited publications dealt with defining what conditions where needed to have a planet that could support life.

I would agree that there a bunch of second tier ID folks that don't do much research but
it surely is NOT true of these three. I am not suggesting that the science of these three is
always right but it clearly is science. I see weakness in ID trying to only make a scientific
argument (I have too much of C. Van til's presuppositionalism in me). In fact Bernie's statement,
"They think by disproving known naturalistic methods, God is then the default answer-but it isn't." just is not true.
The spokesman are VERY careful to say they can NOT prove the God of the Bible.

It is possible that over time ID could replace YEC's but then ID would become something quite different.

bcc to a colleague (as a bcc his e-mail is not out on the web in our ASA archives.

James Mahaffy (ASA member).