Re: [asa] (fruit flies???) A Message from the RTB Scholar Team

From: Dennis Venema <Dennis.Venema@twu.ca>
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 15:15:08 EDT

That ³new Drosophila geneticist² would be me. I am not an expert on
Drosophila speciation ­ I am a cell/developmental biologist - although I am
vaguely aware of studies where selection on various media led to partial
reproductive isolation within a small number of generations.

Thanks to Keith for the detailed reply. I just picked up Perspectives on an
Evolving Creation and will commence reading soon (once my marking is done).
My cursory scan of a few chapters indicates this will be a rich resource.

Iım not sure why there is such a fascination with the notion of ³producing
new species² in a lab in a short amount of time when there is such excellent
evidence for speciation in the wild ­ things like ring species, adaptive
radiation (for example, Hawaiian Drosophilids), species exclusively
occupying recently available niches (someone already mentioned the apple
maggot story), culex pipiens molestus is another (species of mosquito that
lives / breeds exclusively in the London Underground). In my view, this
evidence is better than lab evidence (since it canıt be hand-waved away by
antievolutionists as so-called ³artificial selection²).

Of course, the typical response is to merely move the goal posts (do I hear
a ³But itıs still just a mosquito!² somewhere?)

article on culex:

http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v82/n1/full/6884120a.html

Dennis