Re: [asa] Expelled and ID (ID detection?)

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 11:45:08 EDT

Design could be detected scientifically if:
1) it is clearly defined as to what is or is not designed

and

2a) either we have information about what a designer would or would not do

or

2b) we have a large sample of known examples of designed and
non-designed objects from which we can characterize patterns.

Both multiverse and pro-ID fine-tuning arguments run afoul of
criterion 2. We need to know either who the designer is and what
actions he/she/it/they would take (both ID and atheism advocates
profess ignorance about who yet certainty about what actions are
expected, an implausible position) or else need something like the
answer to the old spoof exam question "Describe the universe and give
three examples", except that only three examples won't give you enough
statistical confidence.

In the case of human activity, we have fairly good ideas about both 2a
and 2b. If "design" is defined as intentional human action, we can
compare things made by non-human natural agents with things made by
people and thus have a good idea as to whether, e.g., a crudely flaked
flint pebble was deliberately shaped by an early hominid or trampled
by a herd of antelope.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections