Re: [asa] Proposed Revision of Genesis 1-11 in the KJV

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Sun Apr 20 2008 - 17:24:07 EDT

Dick Fischer wrote:

> As to your comment: "it's equally obvious that from the start they
> envision all of humanity as being included in God's creative & (toward
> the end, prophetically) salvific purposes." Well, no George, that is
> not at all obvious as it wasn't even obvious to Jesus' disciples.
> Beyond their own proselytes I see no evidence in the OT that the Jews
> themselves believed any outside the twelve tribes were worthy or
> eligible for God's kingdom. Only by contorting the text in Genesis 1
> can you get gentiles under the umbrella. In fact, the NRSV did
> exactly that.

Granted --the disciples even of Jesus' day (& even in early church
after) found this one a hard one to swallow. But 'no evidence in the
OT'!!?? When I'm reading the O.T., I often run across verses that stick
out because of their seeming exceptionality. E.g. --giving your enemy
food & water if he's thirsty---then do the double take when you realize
you're reading Proverbs. So Jesus didn't just invent the concept! So
it is with salvation for the nations, Dick. Just a quick search for the
phrase 'all nations' in my Bible software got 18 hits, 17 of them in the
O.T. And some of those were announcing judgment, of course, but many
of them were announcing the ultimate blessing to 'all nations'. Ps.
86:9 and Isa. 2:2 are two particularly representative examples (pasted
in below), but I could find others by doing a more proper search. Do
you write these passages off as the exceptions that prove the rule? Or
do you dispute the translations? And speaking of the proposed 'rule',
what would you cite as the major passages indicating that other nations
are forever excluded from the Kingdom of God?

--Merv

Psalms 86:9 All nations you have made will come and worship before you,
Lord. They shall glorify your name.

Isaiah 2:2 It shall happen in the latter days, that the mountain of
Yahweh's house shall be established on the top of the mountains, And
shall be raised above the hills; And all nations shall flow to it.