RE: [asa] (fruit flies???) A Message from the RTB Scholar Team (fwd)

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Sat Apr 19 2008 - 18:43:42 EDT

David said:
"Several examples of new species being formed in lab and in the wild are
known, so it's not a tenable position for anyone knowledgeable in the
relevant aspects of biology"

What examples can you give to proof of new species made in the lab? My
understanding is that all these mutants are downward- devo, not upwards
in any way. Even fruit flies, as far as I know, can't be changed into
something better. Extra wings don't work, and extra legs on a head are
no good. If you have evidence- I'd like to know. It would help me.

We have a new fruit fly researcher that joined this ASA list- can't
remember the name. I asked him if there was any positive outcomes from
experts on fruit flies- no answer (that I saw). I believed evolution
happened, but would welcome the new evidence to bolster my position.

...Bernie