RE: [asa] Proposed Revision of Genesis 1-11 in the KJV

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 15:24:12 EDT

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your suggestions for the unauthorized version of the
Authorized Version. We're looking for an alternate translation for
Hebrew asah that doesn't imply "create." What God did on Day Four was
to appoint, or commission, or designate the heavenly bodies for their
use as signs for seasons and passages of time such as days, months,
years, etc. We have convenient desk top calendars, but they had such
attachment to the night sky. It can be seen in so much ANE literature.

Considering the Genesis 2:5 passage specific to the immediate location
in the vicinity of the Garden, that would be somewhere in southern
Mesopotamia, likely around Eridu, and roughly 7,000 years ago. No man
could till the soil until they could find a means to irrigate the ground
due to insufficient rainfall in the area. Either you could say no "man"
or you could say that "Adam" was not there. Either seems to work. What
the earliest settlers found growing naturally were date palm and maybe
some other fruit trees, goat grass and emmer that grew there naturally.
But fresh water was needed so they diverted water from the Euphrates.
This was too soon for Sumerians. Ubaidan pottery was found and at least
one other style of pottery was uncovered of unknown origin.

Dick Fischer. author, lecturer
Historical Genesis from Adam to Abraham
www.historicalgenesis.com