Re: [asa] Proposed Revision of Genesis 1-11 in the KJV

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 15:16:17 EDT

Dick -

You won't be surprised if I tell you that the whole project is misguided. For starters, the notion that translators of RSV, NRSV, NEB, NIV have made use of nothing that has been learned since 1611 is simply untrue. The reason they haven't put into their versions some of the things you have in yours is simply that they've tried to translate what the original Hebrew meant, not read into it what modern science has learned about the natural world.

Your rendering of 1:27, "So God created Adam12 in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them", is especially bad. As is clear from the concluding clause, the reference is to humankind, "male and female." So to translate 'adham as "Adam," which people will of course read as the proper name of a single male human, is just wrong. NRSV's "So God created humankind in his own image" is correct.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/