Re: [asa] Proposed Revision of Genesis 1-11 in the KJV

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 14:26:03 EDT

Dick,
I took a quick look at the first part of the revision. It seems to me
that the translation and explanation of day 4 doesn't fit. First,
"heaven" (/shemayim/, which is at least dual if not plural) does not mean
"heavenly bodies." But, if all the heavenly bodies were created in v. 1,
they must have been doing their thing providing light day and night, and
providing seasons for gigayears. If you want a good verb to translate
"appoint," I'd suggest /nathan/ in v. 17, where all were "set" in the
heavens. It seems a better match than /`asah/. Of course, that change
doesn't make good sense either.

Also, how was there no man to till the soil (2:5) when /Homo sapiens/ had
been around for at least 40 Ka? I think I recall evidence that there was
some level of domestication of crops well before 5000 B.C.
Dave (ASA)