RE: [asa] Theo-Neo-Darwnian Synthesis + Chromosome Fusion WAS Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 21:48:59 EDT

Gregory,

I mean no special significance in including Darwin in the Theo-Neo Synthesis
nomenclature however that is not intended to be putting any words in
Darwin's mouth or causing him to "profess theology". It is simply stating
the reconciliation of Christian theology with Darwinian evolution. There may
be other types of evolution like Dawkinsian for instance that cannot be
reconciled but from my amateur perspective, that doesn't seem to be the case
for Darwin's theory to me in spite of his personal views. In fact the
"endless forms most beautiful" closing paragraph of Origin seems to me to be
quite eloquent and lends itself nicely to TE even if Darwin didn't intend
that or even personally believe that.

Yes Darwin's theory has been refined but even Behe only takes issue with the
random mutation component but accepts the rest as-is. To me that doesn't
disqualify Darwinism from being compatible with TE as long as we focus on
just the mechanism and not stretch it like Dawkins to exclude supernatural
agency. In fact it appears to be the tactic of ID to endow Darwinism with
this straw man attribute of atheism so they can attack it, which I think is
inaccurate and somewhat dishonest. I think when discussing evolution and
design, it is imperative to distinguish between Darwinian evolution which
can be compatible with TE and Dawkinsian evolution which likely cannot.

Thanks

John