Re: [asa] A Message from the RTB Scholar Team (fwd)

From: Stephen Matheson <smatheso@calvin.edu>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 17:45:05 EDT

David--

You have accurately captured RTB's self-description. Their biggest problem
(besides a certain amount of typical evangelical arrogance when it comes to
hermeneutics) is their commitment to the denial of common descent, in favor of
a hilariously forced repeated-miraculous-creation position. This has led to
their wholesale adoption of a design paradigm (leaning heavily on Discovery
Institute propaganda) with regard to, for example, pseudogenes and
retroelements in eukaryotic genomes. No amount of sincerity or prostration
before the "two books" altar can create "harmony" between scripture and that
which is evidently false, and the assertion that common ancestry fails as a
scientific explanation is evidently false. They may as well be advancing a
repeated-miracles explanation for the tides, while claiming to seek harmony
between that proposal and extravagant interpretations of Job 9:8.

Steve

>>> "David Heddle" <heddle@gmail.com> 04/17/08 4:50 PM >>>
I don't agree with all that RTB does. In particular, I do not like the long
probability chains that Hugh Ross has used. However, they take the position,
to use my own words, that science is the human study of general revelation
as theology is the human study of special revelation. And given that special
and general revelation cannot be in conflict, lest God be a god of
confusion, science and theology should also, in principle, be harmonious.
Contrast this to the (in my opinion) nonsense from the ID movement—which
has
devolved into fighting a war with science, and has embraced unseemly
Christian victimhood. To me, if you plotted RTB and the ID movement, you'd
need a log plot. RTB, for whatever faults, takes the position that science
is not the enemy. (To be fair, I read don't much of what RTB puts out in
biology.) The ID movement, with its war on "materialism," has been been
totally counterproductive.
 David Heddle
Associate Professor of Physics
Christopher Newport University, &
The Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility