Re: [asa] A Message from the RTB Scholar Team (fwd)

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 15:36:34 EDT

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Stephen Matheson <smatheso@calvin.edu>
wrote:

> So, yes, kudos to RTB for eschewing the brainless and suicidal call to
> culture war. But don't be fooled: Reasons To Believe is an embarrassing
> repository of potentially dangerous folk science, and their breaches of
> professional scientific integrity should be cause for significant concern.
> And don't be too impressed by their claim to respect the scientific
> community on common descent. Polite contempt is still contempt.

Nevertheless, it is good to know there is a line there. Folk science eschews
no argument if it advances the "ideology". In this case, the evidence around
RTB -- namely that secular scientists are not oppressors -- overrode their
folk science. And it's not merely the physics v. biology thing either
because Dr. Gonzalez was one of the "expelled". Your blog makes a compelling
case for folk science at RTB but -- call me naive -- I find this letter as a
reason for guarded optimism.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA