Re: [asa] IPCC on Colorado River Basin

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 14:25:07 EDT

> For some info on possible ecological effects see http://www.unr.nevada.edu/~jelena/papers/lasvegaswater.pdf

This paper focuses on effects in the targeted aquifers. Around the
world, freshwater populations and species are being exterminated due
to heavy human use of water. For example, there may be no more living
native freshwater mussels in Israel. There are also downstream
effects-the ecology of the Sea of Cortez is appreciably altered
because no more Colorado River water is entering it.

Recreational lakes and golf courses are additional popular ways to
squander water in the Las Vegas region.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections